Today Tracey showed her support for Movember 2013 by becoming a ‘Virtual Mo Sista’ on the Movember in Parliament website (www.movemberinparliament.co.uk), as part of a wider campaign to raise awareness and money for Movember and Men’s Health.
· One in eight men will get prostate cancer
· On average, one man dies every hour from prostate cancer
· More than 10,000 men will die of the disease this year
Movember was started by two patients with $500. It has grown over five years into a global online patient movement and has now raised over £250m. Movember is at the forefront of a radical new agenda of patient empowerment through research, which is transforming medical discovery.
Last year more than 365,000 Mo Bros and Mo Sistas (men who grow moustaches during the month of November and the women who support them) joined the Movember journey raising over £26.9 million in the UK. The money raised by Movember is invested into programmes that help support prostate cancer, testicular cancer and men’s mental health.
The Parliamentary Movember campaign last year saw a handful of MPs and staff growing mosuaches – see picture above
This year, the campaign is being stepped up with:
· Parliamentary Launch Event – Monday 4th November
· Virtual Wall of Support for Mo Sistas and those men who don’t want to grow a moustache
· Group Photo in Westminster Hall – Wednesday 27th November
Follow MPs, peers, Parliamentary staff and lobby journalists supporting the work of Movember via our Twitter page (@parliamentmov) and our website (www.movemberinparliament.co.uk).